Friday, February 18, 2011

Hey good lookin', whatcha got cookin'?

I really need to catch up with my "home tour," so I can start talking about current projects we are tackling. Really, this should be the last post of this type, because the kitchen is the only quasi-finished room left.

I am going to try really hard to keep this short and sweet.

So, walking from the living room, you see the kitchen:


















Look at those pretty cabinets! Need a closer look?

















Totally worth the extra money for the glass doors. Oh my gosh, I love them! They are so me. Probably my favorite thing about the entire house. The one thing I haven't had buyer's remorse about.

Here's the other side of the kitchen:

















So, the first thing I realized when I was unpacking--something I completely wasn't expecting--was that this kitchen has practically no storage space. Its really not fair to have a rent house with as awesome of a kitchen as we had.

Here it was:





















I knew it was good, I just didn't realize HOW good. There was soo much storage space. We didn't even fill most of those cabinets. And all of our pretty kitchen gadgets fit on our countertops.

That is definitely not the case in this kitchen. And it was just about to drive me batty. I don't like feeling cluttered. I don't like having to lift a million pans to get to the one I need. I miss my old kitchen :(

So that has been a source of frustration. Because honestly, we don't really have that much stuff. Just the basics that we got when we got married. And I started freaking out because if everything is barely fitting now, what happens when we have babies/kids? Where on earth am I going to put all of their plastic cups/bottles/etc...

That is one thing about the glass cabinets. I had to make them "pretty," so that cuts down on functional space. But I don't regret that for a minute. Still love my pretty cabinets.

We did deal with our storage problem...that post is soon to come! :)

As for counter space...I definitely pared down some of the items. We got rid of our massive toaster oven (and will hopefully buy a more compact toaster soon). I put the food processor in a cabinet with other items such as the waffle iron, etc... I moved my cookbooks to a cabinet as well (they were in that white box...see old picture above). In the end, I made it all fit and look pretty. Just took a little thinking, and a lot of griping as I did it (after all, isn't your first home suppossed to have more space than your rental?) (P.S. this new house is bigger square footage-wise...our rental just had amazing storage and built-ins)

So that is it for the kitchen. Up next: the breakfast nook.

2 comments:

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com