Monday, April 25, 2011

Modernizing the ceiling fan

As promised, a quick post about the little DIY fan project we tackled this weekend.

We have fans in every single bedroom, plus the living room. And we live in Texas. So as much as I would loveto replace the fans with some fun and stylish light fixtures, this is one instance when function wins over form. We need our fans. :)

But surely there is a way to modernize these very standard, ho-hum fans, right? Surely we can do better than those four little standard glass covers, as seen in the picture below:























We followed the instructions from this post from Thrifty Decor Chick and removed the glass shades and added a basic white lampshade for an instantly updated, modern look.

















If you are looking for a how to, I would recommend reading the Thrifty Decor Chick post. To be honest, I still don't quite understand how it was done. Nick was the brainchild behind this operation. I was just the idea person :)

But anyway, I really like how the fan now complements the modern lines of my new entryway light, rather than detracting from it.

































I am still debating the size of the shade. Should I try to find one that is shorter lengthwise? Does the shade seem disproportionately large? The scale looks about right in the pictures (especially next to the entryway light), but I keep doubting the scale in person. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com