Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Outdoor living

This makeover has been a long time coming. 

All last spring/summer (in the rental house), I was dreaming of having "real" patio furniture. I even had some picked out and was thisclose to buying it. But we reasoned that since we knew we would be moving we should probably wait, that way we don't have to transport it to the new house. 

Once we got to the new house, my dreams of a beautiful outdoor living space still remained. But there were so many other "higher priority" items to spend money on. So we waited. Finally, with the weather all nice and toasty out (just how I like it!), I could wait no longer. I declared May to be our "spruce up the patio" month. 

And spruce up I did. And hey, we are only mid-month! Can't say I wait around :)

But lets back up here a bit. First some before pictures. This was our patio when we first moved in with the old furniture. It is practically identical to the way it was set up at the apartment and at the rental. Its functional. But not a place that inspires you to spend your time outdoors.
Oh, and please take note that our builder decided it would be a great idea to attach rain gutters to our columns. Um, no thank you. We took those off.
So the first part of our Project Spruce Up actually began in April, when we decided to stain the fence. This truly was more in effort to waterproof the fence and keep it from rotting over time than it was about aesthetics. But it did turn out quite lovely. 

Before:

During (this process was killer. Our fence is huge. It took us three weekends to finish and wayyyyy more stain than I ever would've guessed.)

After: 
Notice anything else different? We added a stone border around our tree bed. Love it. 

Before:
After:
Forgive the weeds. I plan to plant something pretty in this area (or at least cover it in mulch), but that is way down on my priority list for now.

The following picture serves a duel purpose. First, to illustrate that we also stained the columns. Second, to show the sad state that my patio accessories sat in for the first four months we lived here:








And the saddest part is that one day Nick accidentally broke my very favorite teal pots. I couldn't bear to throw them away at first, so they sat here like this for a couple months too.

So after we addressed the fence and the stone border (and I had thrown away the teal pots and planted a few things in the others), it was finally time to bite the bullet and buy some patio furniture! Oh happy day!
We ended up going with the same Target furniture I had my eye on the year before. It is the perfect mix of modern cottage style. 
















I really debated the table situation. I would've preferred not to go matchy-matchy, but I couldn't find anything I thought would coordinate. Sometimes you just gotta go with what is easier.






















Leafy pillows are from Target. Green pillow is from Home Depot. I also got some green pots from Home Depot to replace my broken teal ones. Still need some plants for those.

Rug is from the ever-classy Wal-mart. This was not for lack of looking. I looked high and low (online and off) for a stylish green outdoor rug. I had my eye on a couple of pricey options (but was hesitating due to the price), when I spied this green rug for a mere $50 at Wally World. And it has a very similar leaf pattern to the pillows. How serendipitous :) 
Lantern is from Lowes, little potted plant is from Michaels. Yellow pot is Crate & Barrel (an Easter present from my mom!)

















The flower box is from Michael's (there is another one underneath the coffee table), the snail is from Hobby Lobby (he has had quite the journey...but that will have to be another post).



























This firepit was Nick and my Christmas present to ourselves two years ago (from Home Depot).


We also bought this bird feeder from Wal-mart. Its already empty. We've seen the most beautiful cardinals and even the occasional blue jay!

























And the hammock was my birthday gift last year. From Target.

So there you have it. Our backyard makeover! And let me tell you, it has been worth every penny. It has increased our time spent outdoors a hundred-fold. I am out there practically every night reading. And of course, Nick has enjoyed it too:
But no one is happier than this girl...

...because nothing brings her more joy than us sitting outside as she runs around. 



The end.



10 comments:

  1. Jennifer!!! This looks amazing!!! You should put this on HGTVs rate my space. I'm going to put my bedroom on it at the end of the summer. So proud of yall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!! We have a necessary porch makeover that we have been putting off for a while now and I think your post might have inspired me to get going.

    What you did with the fence and the rocks around the trees... it looks great! I know it must have been a TON of work, but I think it looks awesome. Great job, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much you guys! you made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really amazing. Love the Target furniture as well. I found you over at Centsational Girl's party. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I am popping over from the party. What a nice job you did on your patio. . . and I love the pops of lime green.

    Fondly,
    Glenda (#206)

    Gg - Notes on the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! The green caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing~ love your furniture and the colors. What a great space! Stopping by from CG today~ I host a Friday decorating party if you would like to come join sometime- love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there~ Just stopping back by to say thank you for sharing your gorgeous outdoor space at Feathered Nest Friday! Now following you- hope you will come back and share again soon! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Nice!!! I love the greens in your cushions and rug!!! Staining that fence was worth it too, it looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The patio set looks phenomenal and the yard is totally gorgeous! (hopping over from HOUSEography!)

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com